It is hard enough to trust someone else to take care of your kids. Finding a worthy candidate just makes it harder. Whether you’re hiring a babysitter for one Friday night or a nanny for a longer period of time, here are a few key questions to ask that will make everyone (you, your babysitter, and your kids) feel more at ease.
1. What is your childcare experience or background?
2. Do you have children of your own, nieces or nephews, godchildren, or young cousins?
3. Do you envision yourself doing this for a long period of time or just in the near future?
4. What do you think is the best form of discipline for a baby, toddler and primary school child?
5. Do you cook?
6. Do you believe tidying the house is part of your job?
7. How much do you charge and how does that relate to your experience?
8. Do you do overnights? How much do you charge for that?
9. Do you have any current health issues that might prevent you from caring properly for my children?
10. Have you been formally trained in CPR?
11. Can you give me an example of an activity you might do with my children? (art project, hide and seek, board game, etc.)
12. Under what circumstances would you call me?
13. Under what circumstances would you call 999 / 112?
14. What do you expect from me as a parent?
Some ideas on the type of interview that you can conduct:
Phone interview – For some parents, a phone interview is sufficient to proof a babysitter’s worthiness. You can gauge a lot from a 10-20 minute call.
In-person interview – This can take place in your home, babysitter’s home (if you are sending your kids to the babysitter’s home instead) or a public location. Your kids would have a chance to meet the babysitter, however, you may be able to focus better without your kids around. You would also have a chance to have a look at the environment of the babysitter’s home.
Paid working interview – Hiring a babysitter to watch your kids while you’re home can be a great way to get to know a babysitter.
Remember, MyBabysitter.my makes it easy to find babysitters at the click of a button!